Tuesday, June 7, 2011

When I met the man who saw God....

I had just confirmed my reservations at Woodbriar Group with all the scare, the apprehensions people had about Valparai and when  I clarified with the Office Assistant, she said "Sir do not worry, the place is a heaven on Earth".

True to her words,  I felt I had reached heaven but little did I know that I would meet a man who claims to have seen God.
      
It was a Sunday and after an early morning Trek into the jungles, decided to take my family around the place and after some wandering, John the estate manager informed us that he would take us to a view point from where we could see Munnar. So we went along with him to a place called "Nallamudi Poonchalai" another vast tea estate belonging to the WoodBriar Group. 

The 1.5 km walk into the estate ended in an abrupt view of the valley and on the edge of the cliff was an old man aged about 70 years cracking jokes with some of the Tourists.

On one of the tree was a board written as "Seen God" in jittery letters. So as I approached him and asked him "Ayya, are you the man who saw God" he replied promptly " Yes Sir, I was humbled to see God appearing before me" as I stood stunned with his impeccable English.

As I  spent time chatting with him, trying to find out antecedents, he told me about his Father having a small temple at the place and used to worship "Muruga" or "Balasubramania", the local deity.  The gentleman passed his matriculation during 1954, was working in a factory as a supervisor when some misfortune of personal nature befelled upon him and he used to work in Nallamudi Pooncholai Estate as a daily labourer . Since he trusted the deity, he used to cry at the temple everyday and one fine day as he was entering the site, he saw a huge column of fire with a human form in it, and he believes the human form was "Muruga" and calls the human form as "Om Adi Muruga". It has been 37 years since  and this gentleman has stayed back in the same place maintaining the site where he saw God. He claims that Elephants, Leopards and Tigers have visited him since but he has been unharmed, a claim confirmed by the forest officials. An forest official confirmed that they have taken his help in driving out the Elephants creating a menance in the residential areas, all he did was told the Elephants to go away. He remains bare bodied through the year, walks through the mountains and literally lives on Food,Herbs and seems to be satisfied with his life. He has a son and his wife visits him occasionally since she is too old to climb the hills.He has a very good navigational knowledge about the forests and the mountains.When he utters the word " Om Adi Muruga", the mountain thunders with the vibes.
Seen God uttering "Om Adi Muruga"
Being from the scientific world and as a rationalist, I do not know whether he saw a thunderbolt as a fire or if it was an hallucination or if it was his illusion, nor would want to contest or debate, if he had really seen God. However I came down with the satisfaction of having seen God in his belief and conviction amidst the time of fake Godmen living in palatial houses, performing publicity stunts or fake missionaries with claims of faith healing
Site where God appeared.




3 comments: